Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Thank you Bobby Lou

As I made a nice big batch of lasagne last night, I flipped through the TV channels, trying to figure out what to watch. I stumbled upon the Oilers-Canucks game and decided, hell, why not watch? How bad can it be? It was bad... I thought the Oilers might win.

While I don't support giving up, I do support getting a high draft pick. The plethora of injuries means that we've started bringing up players from the QMJHL. Junior players! Junior players who aren't the next Sidney Crosby. We don't deserve to win. But give the kids playing time, by all means!

I live in Vancouver and am scared of the playoff run the Canucks might make this year. Canucks fans have been unbearable in my two years in the lower mainland. If it weren't for the fans, I could probably get behind this team. They've made some good moves, they play hard and have overachieved without becoming a favorite. The play of Roberto Luongo, despite his lack of a playoff record, makes me wonder if Vancouver was only a goaltender graveyard because they never had a bonafide starter.

The Vancouver I saw last night underperformed in a way reminscent of the Oilers down the stretch last year. They had already convinced me they deserved to be in the playoffs, but struggled against bottom feeders. But when your best player is your goaltender, teams beware.

A hot goaltender can take a team a long way in the post season. Last night's version of the canucks didn't have a team that scared me. It had a goaltender that was positionally remarkable, perfectly timed and just a bit lucky. While they can't win every game 2-1... they only have to win four each series...

Wake me up when the riots are over.


And Raffi thinks he can get the ladies...

No comments:

Post a Comment